‘Only in Louisiana’ Gifts for Mother’s Day
You only have one mother, and Sunday, May 12th is her day. So I got to thinking about some gifts to celebrate moms right here in Louisiana. Things that just about every mother would surely like, and can't get anywhere else. My own personal list is below, and be sure and say hi to your mom for me on her special day!
- A painting by famed Acadiana artist George Rodrigue
- Music from Louisiana artists Harry Connick Jr., Tim McGraw, The Neville Brothers, and Grammy Award winning Zydeco artist Terrance Simien
- Gift basket of Community Coffee
- Cookbooks - from the Junior League of Lafayette 'Talk About Good', and the Junior League of Baton Rouge 'River Road Recipes'
- Cafe au Lait and beignets from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans
- Gift certificate for boudin, cracklin', jambalaya and gumbo. Any specialty meat market in state can help out with these!
- Candles from any of our local candle makers - Cajun Candle in Kaplan, Nouvelle Candle Company, or La Petite Bougie d'Acadiana
- An overnight stay and tour of the most haunted house in America - The Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville
- A guided tour of any of the beautiful antebellum homes on the River Road. Houmas House, San Francisco Plantation, or Destrehan Plantation
- Original works of art from our local/regional artisans. These can be found at Sans Souci Gallery in Lafayette, as part of the Louisiana Crafts Guild
- For the outdoor moms - A swamp tour of the Atchafalaya Basin
- Breakfast at Brennan's in New Orleans
- An original Louisiana cocktail. Good choices are a Hurricane from Pat O'Brien's or a Sazerac from Tujagues, both in New Orleans
- Acadiana tee shirts from Parish Ink in Lafayette
- Boiled crawfish from Davis Seafood in Church Point, Po Boy's from Olde Tyme Grocery in Lafayette, Snowballs from Hansen's Sno-Bliz, New Orleans