Contact Us

In Our Own Backyard: Veteran’s Park [Gallery]

Earlier this year, I submitted a story about something ‘in our own back yard‘: the Atchafalaya Welcome Center at the Butte la Rose exit on I-10.  The reason I am calling this series of posts ‘in our own back yard’ it to bring to light some things right here in Acadiana that we might not take advantage of because we are so used to seeing them.

Today’s example is Veteran’s Park.  Shannon surprised me for lunch a few weeks ago (we would rarely get to eat lunch together because of our work arrangements) by bringing me to Palon’s Mexican Hot Dog Stand on Verot School Road.  We got our food ‘to go’, and then she asked “where’s the closest park?”

Veteran's Park 6
Pier and pond at Veteran's Park

Veteran’s Park happened to be the first one that came to mind.  On Feu Follet, right next to Big Boys Toys and Hobbies, Veteran’s Park features covered picnic tables, a pier overlooking a pond, restrooms, a playground and plenty of grassy areas with shade.

Veteran's Park 1
Covered Picnic Tables at Veteran's Park

It also features memorials honoring the brave men and women who have served our armed forces:  A Vietnam Memorial, a Korean War Memorial, a memorial to honor the Royal Order of Purple Heart recipients, and a memorial recognizing each of the 5 branches of the United States Military.

The park, maintained through cooperation between the Lafayette Consolidated Government and the Vietnam Veterans of American (VVA), Acadiana Chapter (Hill 141), has served as the setting for many events, including Memorial Day ceremonies, Veterans’ Day ceremonies, remembrance services, birthday parties, anniversary parties, and group get-togethers.

According to Charles Norman (President of the local VVA Chapter) “we have seen many ceremonies and activities in this park, but the sight that warms my heart the most is when I see a father and son fishing together at the pond, or a mother with her children, feeding the ducks.  It’s those ‘little things’ that I see…. it’s those little things all adding up to help the child grow into a caring, responsible adult.”

Veteran's Park 3
Ducks are playing, fish are swimming....

Many of the veterans still get emotional when they see people reading the monuments, maybe thinking of a parent or loved one who served.  “It is important that people learn about what many of the veterans went through” Norman says.  “Not just the horrors of war, but what happened to them when they returned.  Veterans, whether involved in battle or not, are today’s heroes.  10% of today’s Americans volunteer to join the Armed Forces to protect the other 90%.  Just by stepping up, they become heroes.  Most of our service members don’t want to go to war; they are simply following orders.  Remember this:  no American soldier has ever started a war:  it’s politicians who start wars, we just follow orders.  We go in and fight for what we hope is right.  We fight for freedom.”

Veteran's Park 4
Vietnam Memorial

Take time to visit Veteran’s Park, and bring the kids.  It is right there, in our own back yard!

 

More From KTDY

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://999ktdy.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on 99.9 KTDY quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Sign up for an account to comment, share your thoughts, and earn points to get great prizes.

Register on 99.9 KTDY quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!