Four apartments are destroyed after a Sunday afternoon fire.

It happened just before 1 p.m. at a complex on Ninth street between Simcoe and Surrey Streets.

Firefighters say the fire started after a resident left a pot of potpourri on a stove burner. The fire ignited other combustable items sitting near the stove and spread quickly through the apartment. The fire breached the ceiling and spread into the attic. Although the fire was contained to the one apartment, three nearby units sustained water damage, displacing the residents of those units.

Nobody was home at the time of the fire. Nobody was injured.

The Red Cross is on scene to help the affected residents.

Five Mind-Blowing True Crime Documentaries on Netflix


10 of Louisiana's Weirdest Laws

More From 99.9 KTDY