LAFAYETTE, La. (KPEL News) - An occupant sleeping while a fire began burning up a Lafayette house and a vehicle is fortunate to escape uninjured after a mail carrier delivering mail took action.

99.9 KTDY logo
Get our free mobile app

Lafayette Fire Department PIO Alton Trahan says firefighters received the 911 call shortly after 3:30 p.m. on Friday, December 29th. That call was made by the mail carrier who noticed the fire in the 100 block of Radcliffe Drive. In addition to calling 911, the mail carrier alerted neighbors who were then able to wake up the occupant inside the home. When firefighters arrived, the carport and a vehicle were on fire and it was quickly progressing to the main structure. It took firefighters approximately 20 minutes before getting it under control.

Fire, photo by Lafayette Fire Department
Fire, photo by Lafayette Fire Department

Fortunately, the occupant was able to escape uninjured.

Fire officials say an improperly discarded cigarette may have caused the fire, which originated under the carport. It was ruled an accident.

The home and vehicle sustained major damage.

Suggested Remedies for Flu and COVID Symptoms from Louisiana

Being sick is the worst! Not only do you feel gross, you have to miss work and pause your life to get better. There may not be a pill or potion that zaps you back to normal, but here are a few suggestions from Louisiana folks to help you through it.

Gallery Credit: TRACY WIRTZ

More From 99.9 KTDY