Video Recorded By Keith Scott’s Wife, Shows Deadly Encounter
EDITOR'S NOTE: The video depicts graphic violence and disturbing language. Viewer discretion is advised.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on unrest in Charlotte following the shooting of a black man by police (all times local):
An attorney for the family of the black man shot by Charlotte, North Carolina, police says newly released video recorded by the victim's wife does not prove whether the shooting was justified. Instead, Justin Bamberg tells The New York Times the video shows "another vantage point" of the incident, in which 43-year-old Keith Scott was fatally shot. Bamberg says he hopes Charlotte police release their own videos of the shooting. They've so far refused to do so. It's unclear from the video shot by Scott's wife whether he had a weapon.
The New York Times has posted video of the deadly encounter involving police and a black man who was shot by an officer in Charlotte.
The video, posted on the newspaper's website Friday, was recorded by the wife of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott. The 2 ½ minute video does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard. Before gunfire erupts, police repeatedly tell Scott to drop a gun.
His wife tells officers at the scene repeatedly that he doesn't have a gun and that he has a traumatic brain injury. At one point, she tells him to get out of the car so that police don't break the windows. As the encounter escalates, she tells them repeatedly: "You better not shoot him."
After the gunshots are heard, Scott can be seen laying on the ground while his wife says "he better live."
Charlotte's police chief says there is at least one video from a body camera and one other video from a dashboard camera that captured the deadly shooting of a black man by an officer.
But Chief Kerr Putney continued Friday to refuse to release the video, which could resolve wildly different accounts of the shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott.
Police have said Scott refused repeated commands to drop a gun; residents say he was unarmed. An attorney for his family, who viewed the video Thursday, says it's not clear from the video if he's holding anything, including a gun.
Putney said during a news conference Friday that he cannot release more information about the shooting because his department is not leading the investigation, which is being conducted by the State Bureau of Investigation.
Charlotte's mayor says she does believe video of the police shooting of a black man should be released publicly, but she says it's a matter of when.
Mayor Jennifer Roberts said during a news conference Friday that "I do believe the video should be released. The question is on the timing." Police Chief Kerr Putney echoed her remarks, saying the video's release is "a matter of when, it's a matter of sequence."
Protesters and the family of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott have called on authorities to release the video, which could resolve wildly different accounts of Scott's shooting.
Police have said Scott refused repeated commands to drop a gun; residents say he was unarmed. An attorney for his family, who viewed the video Thursday, says it's not clear from the video if he's holding anything, including a gun
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.