Lafayette Celebrates Earth Day Early
Although Earth Day is officially on April 22, 2012, Lafayette will begin the celebration early! On April 15 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., at Vermilionville, the Bayou Vermilion District celebrates Earth Day to help inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's natural environment. The BVD will have various community organizations and businesses on hand for green demonstrations, presentations, exhibits and tours, kid’s crafts, fact scavenger hunt, cooking demonstrations and food for purchase. Live music will be provided in the Performance Center from 1 – 4 p.m. by the Lafayette Rhythm Devils as well as in the Village throughout the day by Goldman Thibodeaux as well as Cajun Trio.
Those businesses and organization on hand to do talks and demonstrations include:
- Lafayette Utility System will be discussing the new smart technology, how they work and the advantages of using them.
- Lafayette Consolidated Government will discuss natural gas cars, the conversion of the fuel as well as the advantages of the technology.
- Students from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s architecture department will be discussing green building, how to implement in your home or business and the advantages.
- Gulf South Solar Panels will be doing solar panel demonstrations and providing information on how to use the technology to power your home or business.
- Trees Acadiana will be distributing native tress and information on how to care and maintain the trees as well as the advantages of them.
- Harvey Broussard will have a worm farm on hand and will discuss the roles of worms as recyclers and why they are important to the environment.
- The Lafayette Paddle Club and Kayak Fishing Club will be in Vermilionville’s Le Petit Bayou doing canoe demonstrations as well as provide information about their organizations.
Admission to the festival is $5 for adults, $3 for children and children 6 & under free. For a complete list of organizations and businesses participating in the BVD’s Earth Day Celebration visit the calendar of events at vermilionville.org or call (337) 233-4077.