‘Healthy’ Foods That Have More Sugar Than Candy
I feel like I've been on a diet since I was in 8th grade. Or at least having to watch every morsel that touches my lips. I would love to be one of those people who can eat anything they want, but alas, I am not.
So when MSN Lifestyles and Insider came up with a list of foods that I thought was pretty 'healthy', but actually contain tons of sugar, I must admit, I was a little shocked. They are listed below. Adjust your diet accordingly, folks.
- Sports Drinks and Vitamin Water - Gatorade has up to 34 grams of sugar. Whoah
- Reduced Fat Chocolate Milk - you're really better off just having a little bit of the full fledged version, because reduced fat has almost as much sugar
- Coconut Water - up to 19 grams of sugar
- Low Fat or Flavored Yogurt - here's a statistic for you - a Kit Kat candy bar has 21 grams of sugar, and a container of flavored yogurt can have up to 33 grams of sugar. Yikes
- 'Healthy Cereal' - not the ones that are blatantly spoonfuls of sugar in your mouth, but the ones like Raisin Bran, which is loaded with sugars
- Dried Fruit - natural sugars are still sugars
- Smoothies - some of the bottled ones contain up to a whopping 57 grams of sugar. Even homemade ones are loaded with sugar, especially if you have adds ins like high sugar /calorie fruits
- Yogurt Parfaits - lots of add ins that make it high in sugar content
- Canned Soups - loaded with sodium and sugars
- Trail Mix - if you're adding nuts or candy in, these can go sky high with sugar content
- Tonic Water - your favorite drink mixer can have up to 22 grams of sugar
- Fruit Juices - some juices like grape or apple have astronomical amounts of sugar. Oh no!