Did You Know: You May Be Taking Unnecessary Vitamins That Could be Doing More Harm than Good
There are many of us who aren't work out enthusiasts. I can attest to that. But I do want to take care of my body in other ways. This is where vitamins help. I have a regimen every morning of vitamins that I take to not only help with my levels, but to feel better.
However, while looking up the different vitamin options, I found out something quite interesting. There are a few vitamins that I really don't need to take because of their potential harmful effects. They include:
- Many of us, especially us women, think that we need to take calcium to maintain strong bones. What a new study has shown is that the vitamin can actually get into your arteries and soft tissue. What this means is a greater risk for heart disease.
- Vitamin E
- We know this one to help prevent things like Alzheimer's, cancer, or even some forms of heart disease. This vitamin can be helpful, but is not necessary. If you take too much of it, it can actually increase your risk of illness.
- If you have issues with your thyroid, this is usually the mineral you turn to. However, this should not be taken without a doctor's knowledge and expertise because it could potentially cause more issues with your thyroid.
- Feeling tired all of the time? We think to take iron. However, you should not take it unless you have been tested and are positive for some kind of deficiency. It could be harmful to your liver and possibly even other organs.
- Vitamin B6
- All 8 of the B vitamins are important to us daily. They help with a span of things from pregnancy to memory. What you may not know is that most of your B vitamins, including B6, can be found in many foods. Taking B6 too much and too often can actually cause nerve issues.
No matter what vitamins you are taking or would like to take, you must first consult with your doctor. It is important that they tell you the potential side effects. If you are on other prescribed medications, this make talking to you doctor that much more important.
Now, I don't go crazy with vitamins. I take one for my immune system (allergies) and one for hair and nail strength. My doctor knows about all of them and has approved them.
This is just one step to feeling better daily!