Prepare For Hurricane Season Tax Free
Hurricane season begins June 1st. The Louisiana Department of Revenue wants residents to be prepared. Hurricane preparations can be costly, so they’re holding a Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday the weekend of May 24th & 25th.
“There is no substitute for early preparation. This sales tax holiday is the best opportunity to stock up early on the items that can keep your family safe and comfortable during and after a storm.” – Secretary of Revenue Tim Barfield
Eligible purchases will be exempt from Louisiana’s 4% state sales tax that weekend.
• Self-powered light sources, such as flashlights and candles
• Portable self-powered radios, two-way radios, and weather-band radios
• Tarpaulins or other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Ground anchor systems, straps or tie-down kits
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks
• Batteries, sizes AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt, or 9-volt (Automobile batteries and boat batteries are ineligible)
• Cellular phone batteries and chargers
• Non-electric food storage coolers
• Portable generators
• Storm shutter devices (Materials and products manufactured, rated, and marketed specifically for the purposes of preventing window damage from storms)
• Carbon monoxide detectors
• “Blue Ice” (and similar re-usable cooling products)
For more details, click here.