Lafayette Police Offer Shopping Safety Tips For Holiday Season
Chief Jim Craft and the employees of Lafayette Police Department would like to wish all of its citizens a “Happy and Safe Holiday Season”. The Police Department offers the following safety tips while shopping:
Holiday Crime Prevention Tips While Shopping:
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
- Shop with a friend, there is safety in numbers.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check, credit or debit card.
- If possible, carry only your driver’s license, personal checks, or necessary credit or debit cards.
- If you must carry a purse, do not wrap the straps around your arms or shoulders. Carry it by clutching the purse tightly under your arm or wear a fanny pack.
- Do not carry a wallet in a back pocket. It should be placed in a front pocket of your pants for safety.
- Be alert that crooks look for the “high dollar” shopping bags with your purchases. When possible, slip bags/purchases in a plain nondescript bag.
- Watch purchases while eating in mall food courts; bags can easily be switched or taken.
- Educate your children about what to do if they are lost as well as “Stranger Danger”.
- Don’t overburden yourself with too many packages. Use store’s package pick-up.
- Have your car keys ready in hand before leaving the store.
- If you do return to your vehicle to unload purchases, place them in the trunk of the vehicle.
- Try not to shop until the store closes. Remember, fewer people are present at this time.
Next, we will focus on tips while you are in the parking lot.