Family Survives Apartment Fire In Lafayette
A child playing with a lighter leads to an apartment fire at 114 Rue Royale on Thursday night.
Lafayette Fire Department spokesperson Alton Trahan says the 4-year-old boy was playing with the lighter in an upstairs bedroom, which led to heavy fire damage in the room itself and heavy smoke damage in the rest of the home. The boy’s mother, Willona Robertson, says the boy told her, her boyfriend and her two children when the fire started, but the fire grew too quickly for them to put it out.
Fortunately, no one was injured and the fire was deemed an accident.