The Secret To Healthier Hot Wings Is In Your Pantry
Hands-down, chicken wings are my favorite party food. I don’t care if they’re hot, barbecue, garlic and parmesan, or plain and dry. These things are the bomb! The biggest problem is that they are not very healthy. Of course the best things in life (and on the dinner table) come with the most calories.
I have tried all the healthy version of baked hot wings and not a single one was good. There’s something about a super crispy crunchy hot wing that does it for me. Fast forward to Super Bowl weekend and all I can think about are wings. So I tried yet another recipe. The only difference was a VERY small coating of baking powder.
Yes, BAKING POWDER!
They were as good as deep fat fried chicken wings. I don’t have it in my heart to lie to you, so you’re just going to have to trust me on this one. See the recipe I followed in the video below:
Here is the recipe I used from iFoodBlogger:
- 2 pounds chicken wings (tips removed, separated into wingettes and drumettes)
- 1 Tbsp BAKING POWDER (whatever you do, do NOT use baking soda)
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- Favorite Buffalo wing sauce for tossing or serving on the side
- Or a mix of favorite hot wing sauce and BBQ sauce, my new favorite
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Dry chicken with a paper towel really well. Place the wings in a large bowl. Sprinkle baking powder over the wings. Toss until all wings are evenly covered in baking powder. Better yet, mix by hand to ensure even coverage.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a cooling rack (see note) on top and spray with Pam or rub with cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Lay the chicken wings on the rack, leaving space between the wings.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Turn the heat down to 425F and set the mode to convection.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the wings are nicely browned and crisp.
- Season with salt. Serve hot, tossed in Buffalo sauce or with the sauce on the side.
Tip: Let the wings sit for 5 minutes before tossing in sauce. This will preserve crispy skin.