Lafayette, Louisiana Family Loses Everything in House Fire
Lafayette firefighters were called out to a home on East Pinhook Street Monday night after receiving multiple calls to 911 saying the house was on fire.
No one in the family of seven was injured due to the fire.
Lafayette Fire Department Spokesman Alton Trahan says they were called out to the house in the 2300 block of Pinhook around 11:30 last night after reports came in about seeing smoking coming from the home.
By the time fire trucks arrived on the scene, Trahan says the fire had already spread to the second floor of the home and the attic.
Because of strong winds Monday night, officials say the fire easily spread.
Trahan says firefighters spent about an hour working to get the blaze under control.
One of the children in the home who was upstairs started to smell smoke and told his father. They both then saw that there were flames coming from the home's fireplace.
The father says the wood structure of the fireplace had caught on fire. He told investigators he had been burning wood all day in the fireplace to keep their home warm.
Trahan says the fire started in the fireplace and caused all the damage. The nature of the fire has been ruled an accident.
Firefighters were on the scene along with other responders for four hours Monday night.
The single-dwelling home was a total loss according to fire investigator Trahan.
LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades
Gallery Credit: KATELYN LEBOFF