Houston Woman and Child Dead of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Home
Sad news to report out of Houston as a woman and her child are dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning after a car was left running in a garage to help generate heat.
According to Houston police, officers and the Houston Fire Department were called out to do a welfare check yesterday at a residence in southwest Houston. When officials arrived, they found two adults and two children affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.
The woman and one of the children, a girl, did not survive.
A man and a boy were transported to a local hospital for treatment.
"Initial indications are that a car was running in the attached garage to create heat as the power is out," Houston Police wrote in a tweet. "Cars, grills and generators should not be used in or near a building."
Remember, if you are using a generator to power your home, there are some simple rules to follow:
- Do not place generators inside of any structure
- Do no place near open windows or doors
- Do not use in wet conditions
- Do not refuel when hot
- Do not use a wall outlet