Did You Know? It’s National Donut Day!
Today, and every first Friday of June, is National Donut Day!
What started as a fundraiser for the Salvation Army to help people recover after the Great Depression has evolved into a day for us to indulge our sweet tooth. The original day was set to honor those who served donuts to soldiers during World War I, and, now, to make heroes of the men and women who bring a dozen or two to the office.
A few numbers about our love for donuts, according to the National Donut Day website:
- Most of us love donuts - 91% of us say so. There is a very small portion of Americans who hate donuts (just under 1%)
- Most of us eat 2 or 3 donuts each month, for a total of around 30 per year.
- Our favorites? In this order: Glazed, Boston Cream (filled), Chocolate (frosted), Jelly (filled), and Chocolate (cake donuts)
- The majority of Americans prefer the dumbed-down spelling "donut", instead of the proper "doughnut".
- Rickey Meche's Donut Kin on Pinhook across from Chris's Poboys says that glazed donuts are their best-sellers.
As for national donut chains, Krispy Kreme barely edges Dunkin' with 41% and 40% respectively; lagging far behind them is Shipley's with 4% of the market; next is Tim Horton's with 3%.
You still have time to stop by your favorite donut shop and pick up a box of sugary goodness for your friends, family, and/or coworkers! Great places to stop in for donuts in Acadiana? Sunrise Donuts, Cajun Market Donuts, Home Cut Donuts, Landry's Donuts & Coffee, Jak's Donuts, Sunrise Donuts, Dunkin', Louisiana Donuts, and, of course, Meche's - Acadiana's favorite!
Now let me tell you where my weakness is: donut holes. Plain (glazed) or drizzled with chocolate, donut holes will send me to my grave.
They are so much easier to eat than regular donuts (they are POPPABLE!! Just pop'em in your mouth!) that I can't eat just one (dozen)! And when you order a dozen, the baker usually does his/her thing and makes it a Baker's Dozen (or a Baker's 13, or 14, or maybe even 20).
DISCLAIMER: I am not a health care professional. Nor am I a health nut. I can not confirm nor deny the importance or dangers of having donuts in your life. But, I do have this advice: everything in moderation and try to strike a balance by having some donuts after your run or workout!
Happy National Donut Day!
READ MORE: 10 Louisiana Food Brands With An International Following
10 Foods Louisiana People Can't Live Without
10 Top-Grossing Chain Restaurants in America