Local Funeral Home Scam Warning
The Better Business Bureau of Acadiana is warning of a scam that uses local funeral homes’ names and logos to lure unsuspecting internet users into a revealing personal information…
Here’s the gist of the scam: An email is sent to your inbox, appearing to be from a “local” funeral home (with the business’s logo), with the message “Celebrate the life of your friend” or similar. There is a link provided that makes you think that you will be looking at the obit, or at least more information about the dearly departed, but that link actually downloads files that give the scammers access to your computer.
From the Better Business Bureau of Acadiana:
BBB contacted several Acadiana funeral homes and some said they did send out funeral notices and memorial announcements by email at the family’s request.
They were also warned of the scam and informed BBB they would be on the lookout for suspicious activity using their names, logos, web address and company colors to protect consumers.
BBB offers the following tips to avoid this and similar email scams:
- Don’t believe what you see. Scammers can easily copy a real business’ colors, logo and even email address. Best to confirm with the funeral home or family and friends before clicking on links or even opening the email.
- Be wary of unexpected emails that contain links or attachments. As always, do not click on links or open the files in unfamiliar emails.
- Beware of pop-ups. Some pop-ups are designed to look like they’ve originated from your computer. If you see a pop-up that warns of a problem that needs to be fixed with an extreme level of urgency, it may be a scam.
- Watch for poor grammar and spelling. Scam emails often are riddled with typos.
- Ignore calls for immediate action. Scam emails try to get you to act before you think by creating a sense of urgency. Don’t fall for it.
Be sure to keep a link to your local Better Business Bureau office handy so that you can keep abreast of the latest scams and names of businesses who are not abiding by laws or proper business practices; the more you know, the better you are protected!
The BBB of Acadiana works for a trustworthy marketplace by maintaining standards for truthful advertising, investigating and exposing fraud against consumers and businesses. Find information at bbb.org or call (337) 981-3497 24 hours a day for information on businesses throughout North America.
The BBB of Acadiana services the parishes of Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Martin, St. Landry and Vermilion