I did see a post circulating on Facebook about putting your cloth face masks in the microwave to sanitize them. I just stuck mine in the washing machine and I’m glad I did. The Scott Fire Department is trying to spread the word and let people know they should NOT place them in the microwave. They said on their Facebook page that after hearing from firefighters in Natchitoches about the dangers they want to make sure to share the dangers with Acadiana.

The Scott Fire Department says in their post that many of the masks contain a nose strip and the fabric/metal combination is a major fire threat. The social media post that is going viral is saying to heat the masks in the microwave for 3 or more minutes to “sanitize” them. Do not do this.

According to the CDC, the best way to sanitize your cloth mask is to wash it on the hot spin in the washing machine.