Breaux Bridge Rape, Attempted Murder Suspect Caught on I-10
46-year-old Dennis Joseph Comeaux of Breaux Bridge is now behind bars after allegedly raping and trying to kill a female in St. Martinville. Comeaux then allegedly tried to kidnap her but she was able to get away before he took her car out of the parish.
Captain Ginny Higgins with the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office says Comeaux was caught Thursday morning by Louisiana State Police while he was traveling westbound at mile marker 151 in West Baton Rouge Parish.
She says authorities got involved when deputies responded early Thursday morning to an alleged sexual assault that happened at Pine Alley Drive in St. Martinville. Comeaux was identified as the suspect. The victim told deputies Comeaux tried to shoot her twice during the alleged sexual assault, but the gun misfired. The victim says she was then placed into the truck of the vehicle and Comeaux drove away. Fortunately, for the victim, she was able to get away and get help at the St. Martinville Police Department when Comeaux stopped at a stop light.
That triggered the search for Comeaux and the victim's vehicle. He was booked into the West Baton Rouge Parish Jail for possession of a stolen vehicle. Comeaux will be extradited to the St. Martin Parish Correctional Center at a later date where he will be booked on the following charges:
- 1 Count-LA. R.S.-14:42--1st Degree Rape-- (FELONY)
- 1 Count-LA. R.S.-14:67.26—Theft of A Motor Vehicle -- (FELONY)
- 1 Count-LA. R.S.-14:44—Aggravated Kidnapping -- (FELONY)
- 1 Count-LA. R.S.-14:95.1--Carrying of Firearm by Convicted Felon-- (FELONY)
- 1 Count-LA. R.S.-14:27.30—Attempted First Degree Murder -- (FELONY)
- 1 Count-LA. R.S.-14:67.15—Theft of Firearm -- (FELONY)
- 1 Count- LA. R.S. 15:542.1 Failure to Register as a Sex Offender