Unique Places to Spend Christmas
Let's face it, the holidays are here! The second official weekend of the Christmas season is coming up, and Travel + Leisure has some unique options for you and your family to spend a fabulous and fun Christmas! These might take a little more planning in advance, but the results will make for a holiday that you won't soon forget.
If you are looking for something completely different from what you're used to, check out the special options for the holidays below. Each place has it's own charms to celebrate the season, and we are hoping you and your family find something that will fit your holiday dreams below. Merry Christmas!
- Tromso, Norway - gorgeous views of the northern lights
- Prague - holiday markets in Wenceslas Square
- Lapland, Finland - an actual winter wonderland
- Zurich, Switzerland - this alpine city has over 12,000 crystal lights on display
- Charleston, South Carolina - holiday cheer at Drayton Hall plantation
- Reykjavik, Iceland - great views of the aurora borealis
- Santa Barbara, California - old school elegance and holiday kitsch
- Boston - snow dusted cobblestone streets on Beacon Hill
- Edinburgh, Scotland - holiday fireworks show at Edinburgh Castle
- Nashville - over the top lights and Christmas displays at the Opryland Hotel
- Malmo, Sweden - 16th century town square
- Venice - minimal crowds, and the moonlit Piazza San Marcos, perfect for hot cocoa