Think Using Your Cell Phone Isn’t Dangerous?
Every day I see people paying no attention to what they're doing, or what's going on around them. I've been nearly rear-ended at stoplights, and have had people cut me off in traffic. They were almost always fooling with their phones.
A few days ago, I watched a woman emerging from a grocery store nearly ran straight into a post, then me. She had her face buried in her phone. This one tops them all: a teenage girl in California walked right into a pit of rattlesnakes while trying to get a signal.This should serve as further proof that getting distracted by a cell phone can be extremely hazardous to your health.
16-year-old Vera Oliphant was searching for reception in a rural area just outside San Diego. She stumbled into a rattlesnake nest and was bitten six times.
"I was trying to find a signal to call my mom and text my boyfriend," she said. "I didn't see [the rattlesnakes] until I already stepped on their nest and I felt them biting me."
The venom took effect quickly, blurring her vision. she began losing consciousness. Vera somehow made it back to her uncle's home. Her uncle then took her to the emergency room where she was given 24 vials of anti-venom.
Vera survived and has returned to High School in El Cajon. She says she's learned that cell phones and snakes are a dangerous mix.
She said, "If you're in the desert, for one, wear boots, and two, don't bring your cell phone or go searching for reception because you probably won't find it anyways and you might step into a pit of rattlesnakes."
I'm glad she's OK.