Lafayette Woman Survives House Fire
88-year-old Gustava Alexander, who was sleeping in her home, woke up just in time to escape a fire.
Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department says firefighters responded to 138 Warren Street shortly before 1:00 p.m. Sunday. Trahan says Alexander woke up to a popping noise and a smoke filled bedroom. She then escaped to a neighbor’s home without suffering any injuries. Firefighters put out the blaze in the rear bedroom within fifteen minutes.
Fire investigators believe an electrical short in a power cord in the owner’s bedroom started the fire, causing heavy fire and smoke damage to the home.