Heating Safety Tips From The Lafayette Fire Department
Recent heating related fires raises concern for fire officials.
Lafayette Fire Department wishes to increase the public’s awareness of winter related fires. In the past week, Lafayette parish firefighters have responded to at least four fires and numerous concerns related to home heating. Unfortunately, one of the fires resulted in a fatality. The impact of the cold weather causes concerns for emergency responders. Fire officials would like to share the following heating safety tips during this winter season.
- Do not use range/oven for heating.
- Dispose of fireplace ashes in safe container away from house.
- Use space heater with caution. Three feet away from combustibles. Plug directly in wall.
- Have central heating system examine by qualified technician, if not working properly.
- Have a working smoke alarm.
- Have a fire escape plan.
- Call 911 immediately for an emergency.
Our mission is to save life and property essentially by preventing fires. Help us keep Lafayette parish residents safe.