Don’t Do These Things at Your Office Christmas Party
Every year when the annual company Christmas party rolls around, I always think back on some advice Oprah Winfrey gave one year on her daytime talk show 'When you're at your office Christmas party, remember that you're still at work'. Best. Advice. Ever.
I thought I would put together a list of my favorite things NOT TO DO during your holiday festivities with your co workers. Cheers, and let's all hope you have that job come Monday morning.
- Don't drink too much. I know that the cocktails are probably free, and you've had a really really stressful day/year/decade, but just be cautious about how many of those alcoholic beverages you're downing in front of your boss. And definitely don't get rip roaring drunk.
- Don't talk shop. Nobody wants to be reminded of the daily grind, at all, when you are ready to have a great time with your friends and co workers
- Don't forget that your boss is still your boss. He/She is not your boo, even if they've had a couple of drinks and seem waaaaay more approachable and friendly than normal. They still have the power to fire you at the drop of a dime.
- Don't act on that office crush you've been longing over. After a few drinks, in a festive environment, it might SEEM like the perfect time to announce that you've been in lust with the accountant on the third floor for three years, but trust me, it's not.
- Don't have sex at the party. With anyone. Ever.
- Don't go overboard on the freebies.Yes, we know that there will probably be free food, drinks, and party favors. But, don't load up on a doggie bag to take home. You'll just look like you're trying to take advantage of someone else paying, and that's never a good thing. Especially in front of your boss.
- Don't dress inappropriately. If it's a casual setting, don't wear a cocktail dress or tux. If it's a little more dress up, don't show up in tattered jeans and tee shirt. You will really look like a fool in either one of these situations.
- Don't refuse to play games.If your boss has arranged some fun party games, you will look like a bad sport if you don't participate. Remember 'you're still at work'.
- Don't gossip or bad mouth your co workers. This is supposed to be fun, remember? And just because you've downed three shots in a row is no excuse to forget your manners.
- Don't be anti social. Sitting in a corner, glued to your phone, and not talking to your co workers will not endear you to anyone. And yes, it will be noticed.