April 19th National Garlic Day [VIDEO]
April 19th is National Garlic Day and promotes the many uses of Garlic. You probably know it’s a herb but did you know it’s also a vegetable. Here in Acadiana, we put garlic in just about everything. Garlic is not just popular here, but around the world.
Garlic has ben used medicinally for thousands of years. I’m sure Marie Laveau used quite a bit in her lifetime warding off evil spirits. About the only negative thing you can say about it, is that it can negatively affect an otherwise romantic evening.
- Phytochemicals in garlic are believed to provide protection against heart disease and cancer. Specifically, stomach and colorectal cancers.
- Garlic helps to fight off colds and flu.
- Garlic lowers blood cholesterol levels.
- Garlic reduces the buildup of plaque in arteries.
- Garlic is used as a treatment for acne and warts.
- Garlic can be used for toothaches
Alliumphobia is the fear of garlic. Don’t be afraid of garlic today, embrace the garlic in you. Eat lots of garlic and live long…with bad breath!
[Via: Wikipedia, HolidayInsights.com]